Propaganda and manipulation is something that is not only directed towards those who live in other countries … Americans are on the receiving end of state sponsored propaganda regularly. And many of these techniques are utilized by political consultants running political campaigns or SuperPAC groups. There is a very, very fine line between a PSYOP campaign and a political campaign. I cannot discern a difference between the two. The Army PSYOP manual is a must read.
You are being manipulated.
If you are interested in how Intelligence works – read “HOW THE CIA OPERATES THROUGH NON GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES”
The Army PSYOP manual is a must read; you can find that HERE - some excerpts:
2-98. An in group-out group appeal seeks to divide a TA or separate two TAs. It creates an enemy of one group, and encourages the other group to rebel/discriminate against them. This appeal frequently points out major differences between TAs, or factions of a TA. If PSYOP cannot effectively portray the in group in a negative manner, the appeal will fail.
A section titled “Psychographics” provides examples of psychological motivations to utilize in the production of PSYOP material:
- Fears: What does the TA fear?
- Hates: What does the TA hate?
- Anger: What angers the TA?
- Loves: What does the TA love?
- Shame or embarrassment: What does the TA consider shameful or embarrassing?
- What is the TA dissatisfied with? (What are its gripes?)
- What are the cultural norms? (How is the TA expected to act?)
- What does the TA value? (What is important to the TA?)
- What are the frustrations? (What does the TA want that it cannot get?)
Now read this portion of the analysis and ask yourself – how much of this sounds like what we see IN AMERICA?
To further the emotional appeals of the argument presented in a PSYOP product, FM 3-05.301 recommends utilizing a variety of rhetorical tools so that PSYOP soldiers can “become familiar with, and ultimately develop, tactical and technical proficiency in the use of persuasion techniques.” For example, the use of “glittering generalities” or “intense, emotionally appealing words so closely associated with highly valued concepts and beliefs that the appeals are convincing without being supported by fact or reason.
The appeals are directed toward such emotions as love of country and home, and desire for peace, freedom, glory, and honor.” Name-calling “seeks to arouse prejudices in an audience by labeling the object of the propaganda as something the TA fears, loathes, or finds undesirable.” Transference “projects positive or negative qualities of a person, entity, object, or value to another.”
The following comes from the Doctrine for Joint Psychological Operations HERE:
d. Produce Psychological Operations Media. PSYOP production is the transformation of products into media that are compatible with the way foreign populations are accustomed to receiving information. Production is not just the technological transfer of script to media, but the study, refinement, and application of media technique, language, journalistic style, theater, art, music, visual cues, and media format. Most PSYOP production occurs at the media production center at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, the theater media production center deployed forward into the operational area, or forward with PSYOP units. Some production requirements may be contracted to private industry, while still other production requirements may be done by units attached to the PSYOP force. The production function includes the use of video, audio, and still photographic personnel to obtain visual and auditory material required for the prototypical products.
(3) Social and political environment threats are created through upheavals in a country’s economic, religious, cultural, and political structures. These changes may be sudden or anticipated, temporary or permanent, and may alter the perceptions held by the country’s populace. This can pose a threat to the success of US military PSYOP if planners do not recognize the potential for these changes in perception. The PSYOP planner needs to submit specific information requirements so the collection manager can task collection assets to assist in determining changes to political, religious, economic, and cultural structures.
Like us on Facebook?