Americans are going to have a choice to make between President Obama and a very likely Mitt Romney candidacy. But for all of the talk of where the economy IS…it’s like everyone forgets what got us here in the first place. And to make matters worse – Mitt Romney has doubled down on nearly every single economic policy from George W. Bush and the Bush era Republican party….even though those are the same policies that led our country into an economic crisis in the first place. Amnesia is apparently quite contagious.
Kevin Drum boils down President Obama’s top 13 accomplishments:
“These are all big deals. Big fucking deals, to quote our vice president.”
1. Passed Health Care Reform
2. Passed the Stimulus
3. Passed Wall Street Reform
4. Ended the War in Iraq
5. Eliminated Osama bin laden
6. Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry
7. Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”
8. Reversed Bush Torture Policies
9. Kicked Banks Out of Federal Student Loan Program
10. Boosted Fuel Efficiency Standards
11. Passed Mini Stimuli (July 22, 2010; December 17, 2010; December 23, 2011)
12. Created Conditions to Begin Closing Dirtiest Power Plants
13. Achieved New START Treaty
Paul Glastris wrote a great article entitled The Incomplete Greatness of Barack Obama. Great read…one excerpt:
In short, when judging Obama’s record so far, conservatives measure him against their fears, liberals against their hopes, and the rest of us against our pocketbooks. But if you measure Obama against other presidents—arguably the more relevant yardstick—a couple of things come to light. Speaking again in terms of sheer tonnage, Obama has gotten more done than any president since LBJ. But the effects of some of those achievements have yet to be felt by most Americans, often by design. Here, too, Obama is in good historical company.
Just a reminder of what Obama inherited vs where we are today:
Like us on Facebook?